Choosing the right smart home platform can be challenging for anybody - Konnected is here to make it a whole lot easier.
The world of home automation is exciting, but it can feel a bit overwhelming at times. There are a lot of choices - and the biggest one is selecting the right smart home platform to best fit your needs. This article will help you decide on the right platform, and rest easy, we promise to make it as simple as possible.
Konnected & Smart Home Platforms
Let’s start with some good news! At Konnected, we always try to put ourselves in your shoes and maximize the practicality of our products. Our smart alarm systems work with multiple cloud-based and local-based platforms – and none of them require fees! The choice is yours, and the possibilities are endless.
Supported Cloud Platforms:
- Samsung SmartThings
- Amazon Alexa
Supported Local Platforms:
- Home Assistant
*Apple HomeKit available via Homebridge plugin.
Cloud Control Platforms - Pros & Cons
Most cloud-based solutions are beginner-friendly, easy to set up, and supported by well-known names in the industry (like Amazon, Samsung) - but that doesn't mean they're perfect for everyone. Here’s a list of the crucial pros and cons:
- Easy to set up, as they only require a phone app and internet connection;
- Usually less expensive, as they don’t require hardware;
- Familiar to most users - developed by big brands like Samsung or Amazon;
- Controls your smart home from anywhere in the world at any time.
- Internet, system, or maintenance outages that leave you with no control;
- Service providers collect your data, behavior, and routines;
- Possible security breaches, often not announced by providers in real-time;
- Cloud connectivity delays - local networks may react faster than cloud-based.
As risky as internet or service outages of a cloud-based platform may sound, they are luckily not your responsibility to fix. At the end of the day, shutdowns are typically brief when backed up by well-known service providers - it’s their duty to get it back up and running as soon as possible. This saves you both time and money.
Always protect your home internet & Wi-Fi by any and all means possible. Add a firewall and use new exclusive logins and passwords before installing any smart home systems (especially cloud-based).
Local Control Platforms - Pros & Cons
On the other hand, there are a lot of locally operated smart home systems. This means that a hub is directly connected to your router (either by WiFi or wired Ethernet), which creates a home-based network. Let's explore the benefits and potential risks of this situation.
- Even if the internet is down, the local smart home network will still work;
- Less latency due to data processing within your network and not the cloud;
- Doesn’t require an internet connection for local alarms and automations;
- Reduced security, privacy, and risks of outages from service providers.
- Setup is more advanced than any cloud system’s installation;
- Hub purchase requirement creates an additional cost;
- Compatibility issues - hubs might not support the devices you want;
- Additional hardware may cause extra maintenance.
In general, local solutions offer a more comprehensive range of home automation and routines. Depending on your particular situation, this can be an advantage or a disadvantage. Advanced smart home enthusiasts will know what to do, but those at the beginning of their journey may prefer essential automation.
However diplomatic it might sound, everything depends on your personal needs and expectations. Some users seek quick and easy integration with minimum effort; others want to create elaborate systems with hours of experimentation. Some people don't mind sharing data with service providers. Others are focused on maximizing privacy and security.
Regardless of your choice, Konnected smart alarm systems are designed to support you. We believe that letting our customers pick a smart home platform equals freedom and allows them to grow within the home automation world as they please. With Konnected, you’re not limited to one solution. Feel free to start with SmartThings, move on to Habitat, change your mind, switch to MQTT, and circle back to SmartThings. We've got you covered!
We promise - Konnected works great with all of the platforms mentioned above and requires no fees!
Still have questions? No problem! Check out our support page to learn more about this (or any other) topic.